Medical Health Insurance
The cost of health care in the United States is very high and there is no national health plan. Nonresidents in the United States are not eligible for financial assistance from the US government to pay for medical bills. Therefore, all non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at NSU.
Medical Health Insurance for F-1 students
Medical Health Insurance is mandatory for all International students in F-1 status. Students in F-1 status will be automatically charged for and enrolled in the NSU endorsed plan, Wellfleet Insurance Company. The insurance premium will be included in the tuition fees. No waivers are allowed.
Insurance for J-1 Exchange students
All J-1 Exchange Visitors are require to have health insurance coverage for themselves and any dependents for the duration of their stay at NSU. J-1 Exchange Students can opt to be charged for the NSU endorsed plan or must provide proof of adequate medical health coverage. Any alternate plan must meet at least the minimum requirements mandated by the Department of State for J-1 Exchange Visitors.
- Medical benefits of at least$100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
J-1 Exchange Visitors in all other categories (Student-Interns, Scholars and Professors) must purchase adequate medical health insurance for themselves and any dependents entering the United States as holders of a J-2 visa. Proof of insurance for the entire duration of the stay must be provided to the ISRC before a DS-2019 can be issued for the J-1 visa holder and any dependents.
Important Medical Health Insurance Links
- NSU Medical Health Insurance Endorsed Plan for International Students
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage Plan Year 2019-2020
- Where to find a Cigna Network doctor
- Glossary of Health Coverage and Medical Terms
- Enroll Dependents