NSU working to accommodate students during winter utility outage

· · NSU working to accommodate students during winter utility outage

NATCHITOCHES – As of Thursday afternoon, Feb. 18, power had been restored to most residence halls on the main campus of Northwestern State University, except for University Place 2. Water pressure remains low at all campus buildings, except for UP 2, which does not have water due to burst lines.

In the event power is not restored to UP 2, those residents can utilize University Columns clubhouse, University Place 1 clubhouse or the Varnado Hall ballroom for warming stations and to charge cellphones and other devices. Should those areas lose power during the night, Iberville dining hall will be reopened for residential students.

Students who seek shelter at the clubhouses and ballroom can bring pillows, blankets, medication, phone chargers and other items if they choose to stay for several hours. Masks are required and students should observe social distancing guidelines.

Iberville dining hall will be open from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. for brunch and from 4:30-6:30 p.m. for dinner through the weekend. Iberville will be closed except during designated dining hours unless residence halls lose power overnight Thursday-Friday.

Students who choose to remain in their residence halls without power are advised to use caution in regards to health and safety. Using candles or other open flames is strictly prohibited.

According to the City of Natchitoches, water pressure will remain low or possibly zero for several days and the city is currently under a full system boil advisory. Residents should boil water for 1 full minute before consuming it. Those who do have water should conserve it.

The electrical outages in the City of Natchitoches are expected to continue for the next 24 to 36 hours as tree limbs continue to fall and as ice builds up on power lines. Residents should be prepared for no power as City of Natchitoches crews are working as fast as conditions will allow.

In the event of an emergency, students should call University Police at (318) 357-5431 or (318) 471-4184.

Residential students can also contact the RA on call as follows:

University Columns RA on Call – (318) 663-7992

University Place 1 RA on call – (318) 471-0551

University Place 2 RA on call – (318) 471-0179

Varnado Hall RA on call – (318) 471-3382

Updates will be posted at www.nsula.edu and on the university’s social media platforms as it becomes available.


About the Author:

Leah Jackson is Northwestern State University's Director of Public Information and Media Relations. She is a 1994 and 2011 graduate of NSU and has been on staff since 2004.