Parents & Family
As a parent or family member you will have many questions concerning your child’s involvement in Greek Life at NSU. The transition into college life may seem very challenging at times. Greek Life exists a proven support system for your child as they enter new and exciting period of life.
Be supportive and engaged with your child by learning as much as you can and by asking questions throughout the recruitment and new member process. Once they have become a full member of a Greek organization there will be many opportunities for you to remain involved and share in their experience as members of the NSU Greek Community. Many chapters host family functions and events for mothers and fathers of their members. When your child becomes a member of the Greek Community at Northwestern State you become a part of the NSU Greek Family too!
If there is ever anything the Office of Greek Life can do to be of assistance or answer any questions you may have about the Greek Community please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Shayne Creppel, the Director of Greek Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECRUITMENT & NEW MEMBER PROCESS
For those who do decide to accept an invitation of membership they will participate in a new member education process that can last no longer than 8 weeks. This process is designed to orient the student on the chapter and national organization through meetings, educational lessons, service projects, social events, and academic programs. New members are also educated on topics such as safety, hazing, alcohol, and sexual assault prevention by the Office of Greek Life.
The new member process should not interfere in any way with a student’s academic responsibilities. The new member process is designed to be fun, rewarding, informative, and challenging, therefore physical and mental hazing is not tolerated by any national organization, the Office of Greek Life, Northwestern State University, and is illegal in the state of Louisiana.
If you ever feel that any physical or mental hazing is taking place during any aspect of your child’s Greek Life experience please contact the Director of Greek Life, Mr. Shayne Creppel immediately at email@example.com.
BENEFITS OF GREEK MEMBERSHIP
- Greek organizations offer a “home away from home” for a variety of students with diverse interests and different backgrounds.
- Fraternities and sororities instill leadership skills in their members and promote active citizenship.
- Members of the Greek Community statistically have higher GPA’s that non-Greeks.
- Membership in a fraternity or sorority increases first-year college retention.
- Academic performance of first-year students is higher among fraternity and sorority members.
- Greeks graduate at higher rates than other students.
- Fraternity and sorority members spend more hours on service and volunteering than other students.
- Because Greek students feel a deeper connection to their college or university, Greek alumni donate more to their alma mater after graduation.
- Members of fraternities and sororities have exponentially larger professional networks.
Source: Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values
Did You Know?
- All but two US presidents since 1825 have been Greek
- 76% of US Senators are Greek
- 70% of US Congressmen are Greek
- 85% of all US Supreme Court Justices have been Greek
- 85% of all Fortune 500 Key Executives are Greek
- 68% of doctors and 72% of lawyers nationally belong to a fraternity or sorority
Source: North-American Interfraternity Conference