Jimmy D. Long, Sr., Louisiana Scholars’ College Distinguished Alumni Award
The Louisiana Scholars’ College at Northwestern State University established the Jimmy D. Long, Sr., Louisiana Scholars’ College Distinguished Alumni Award to honor the life and service of former state Representative, education proponent, and philanthropist Jimmy D. Long, Sr. Mr. Long served eight consecutive terms as a Louisiana state Representative, earning a reputation as a strong advocate of education in Louisiana. As Representative and chair of the House Education Committee, Long authored the bill that created the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts, and subsequently introduced legislation to establish the Louisiana Scholars’ College. Following his tenure in the Louisiana House of Representatives, Mr. Long was appointed to the 16 member University of Louisiana System Board, where he served for eight years and chaired the Board for two terms.
The Jimmy D. Long, Sr., Louisiana Scholars’ College Distinguished Alumni Award will recognize alumni of the Louisiana Scholars’ College who have exemplified the tradition of service shown by Jimmy D. Long, Sr., and:
- distinguished themselves in their career, and/or
- supported the Louisiana Scholars’ College in some manner, whether financially, by increasing its stature and reputation, or through some other service.
Nomination Process for the Jimmy D. Long, Sr. Distinguished Alumni Award
Candidates for the award may be self-nominated or nominated by other alumni, faculty, family members, or friends.
To facilitate nomination and selection of awardees, a standard application format will be used. Applicants or nominators should provide responses to the following items:
- Identify the nominee and provide current contact information (address, email, telephone).
- Describe how the Louisiana Scholars’ College gave the nominee access to higher education opportunities that might not have been available to him or her otherwise.
- Describe the specific ways in which the nominee’s experience while they were attending the Louisiana Scholars’ College changed the nominee.
- Describe specific ways in which the nominee utilized the Louisiana Scholars’ College experience in the years after graduation.
- Please include ways in which the nominee has given back to Louisiana in a manner that exemplifies the life and service of Jimmy D. Long, Sr.
(Please include a personal resume for the nominee.)
Submission of Nominations
Nominations should be submitted to Dr. Kirsten Bartels, Director of the Louisiana Scholars’ College by mail or email.
Dr. Thomas Reynolds
Louisiana Scholars’ College
Northwestern State University
Natchitoches, LA 71497
Selection Process and Bestowing of Award
- The 2017 awardee will be announced early in the fall semester and subsequently, the award will be presented during the NSU Homecoming game on October 21 (to coincide with the LSC Alumni Reunion on the same weekend).
- Applications for the 2017 award will be accepted as soon as the award is advertised, but no later than August 1, 2017.
- Beginning with the 2018 award, the awardee will be announced at the Louisiana Scholars’ College Founders day in the spring, and subsequently, the award will be presented the following fall, at the NSU Homecoming game if possible.
- After 2017, applications will be due by February 1 of each year.
- Applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee composed of three LSC faculty members, one LSC alumni representative, a member of the Long family, and one current LSC student. After the first year award is made, the previous year recipient will serve as the alumni representative.
- The Selection Committee will submit a short list of award finalists to the LSC faculty and staff, who will then select the awardee.
- The awardee will receive a personalized plaque and a modest honorarium, and the name of the awardee will be placed on a permanent plaque to be displayed in Morrison Hall, the home of the Louisiana Scholars’ College.
- Announcements of the award will distributed to LSC alumni, local news media, and media near the awardee’s residence.